Wednesday, June 15, 2011

summer practicing....

We're settling into a pretty good rhythm with our summer violin practicing. E is thriving with a detailed practice chart, she loves not having to ask me about every little thing she's supposed to be doing. It helps her be more self-directed, which I enjoy as well. Sometimes I try to sit in on practice time just to listen, which then becomes knitting time for me......a win-win situation. :) About once a week we collaborate for a lesson and plan a new practice chart the upcoming week.

We don't have a specific time each day for practicing, but the kids know it's one of their jobs, so when other opportunities arise throughout the day, I just remind them that they'll still need to find time to do their jobs. (Their other job is cleaning out the guinea pig cage!)

Obviously mornings are the best time to get it done, that way the day is open and they're free to play and have friends over. But we seem to still be able to fit it in later in the day, especially on these afternoons that have been getting hot. Practice time is the perfect opportunity to sit inside with the air-conditioner on!

3 comments:

JWalburger said...

E is getting so good. I can't wait to hear her play when she comes home for a visit. Love Ya!

P.S. Did G and Derick get their birthday cards?

Anonymous said...

What a great way to showcase that beautiful quilt!!! :-)

Dawn Harms said...

Megs are you visiting Alaska soon? I don't have your current email or cell phone info, so here is my email: dawnlynnharms@gmail.com. I'd love to see you guys!