Sunday, March 27, 2011

hope.

There's nothing quite like the hope that goes into planting a seed. This is my first time trying to start seeds indoors and I'm so hopeful about what these teeny tiny little things might bring this summer. I've planted Brandywine, Tigerella, and Cherry tomatoes.....I just keep imagining how many delicious, ripe tomatoes might come from these little sprouts. I've also started a few basil plants because none of the basil I started outside grew last year. So stay tuned until the end of the summer to see if my little hopeful seedlings turn into yummy batches of salsa and pasta sauce. I just used little yogurt containers for most of the plants, and a few juice cans with holes nailed in the bottom. So yes, most of this project came from the trash!
To keep the seeds warm and encourage germination I covered them with plastic and put them on top of the fridge. The soil was moist enough when I planted them that I didn't need to water at all that first week. They popped up in 6 days!
Now they're enjoying the sun wherever we can find it around the house. They spend part of the day in the kids' room and part of the day in kitchen. So here's crossing our fingers for lots of tomatoes!

6 comments:

jesieo said...

I'd say your chances look pretty good! Grow little seedlings!

Crystal HW said...

Planting seedlings is fun!

JWalburger said...

How fun! It makes me want to plant a few things and watch them grow. I really missed growing a garden last year.

Kate said...

looks so good!! can't wait to see how they turn out!

Gilly said...

Good luck!So hard to think about planting when we still have so much snow. But we went sledding today.

Jenny said...

Good job Megan - wow. Mmmmmm homemade salsa sounds so good!!