Sunday, January 30, 2011

rearranging....

This is also a little show-off of my sister Kate's fabulous handmade gift for the kids for Christmas! Aren't these playcloths amazing? She did a beautiful rolled edge around each and then dyed them, you can find more details here on her blog. I love how long they are, especially for my bigger kids, because they make them so versatile. So we decided to rearrange their bedroom to make a permanent play-place with the cloths. They love it!
We cleared the shelves as much as possible to allow for more play space. They like to have windows when they're inside! The cloths also make great props, such as this ocean being created below. Sometimes they're mountains and sometimes fields!
This is where most of the toys went, and it's the greatest system ever! Only Dad and Mom can reach them, so we have a bit more control over how many toys can be strewn around the house at a time. It's amazing how much mess a few sets of toys can make in a short afternoon of play, but at least this way we can request that one collection be cleaned up before we fetch another.
Here's the new tent in action! Last night it was filled with blankets and pillows and a camp-out was planned. At the last minute the real beds looked a bit more inviting than squishing together on the floor, but the planning and excitement about it was super fun!
Another action shot....Thanks for the wonderful cloths Kate! We love them! (This is what I was trying to duplicate for my kiddos, but since they're both getting taller, obviously we needed a bit more of a grown-up kid version. And of course without the $450 price tag! These are the play-cloths Kate was inspired by.)

3 comments:

JWalburger said...

I remember when Derick was a young boy, him and his sister and brothers were always making tents and turning my living room into one big tent. How fun!!

Crystal HW said...

lol, Sam is currently under a tent of her own...made with kitchen chairs and the railing. LOVE when kids use imagination and play well together.

kate said...

I really think this is so brilliant!!! I Love the shelves megs... Now I can't decide what we should do... not that I would be working on them anytime soon... but I am just thinking...