Tuesday, January 18, 2011

good mornings.

I've come to the conclusion that sugar is addicting! Yes, I know we all know it, but when my body is BEGGING for it each day and I'm trying not to give in, it's really obvious. I know it's just all the nasty bad bacteria in my gut that wants it, but sometimes they win, and at the end of a good day of eating, or a good week, I give in. (brownies!) I know this about myself, but it seems that I'm forgetful because every few months I have to completely remove sugar from my diet for a week or two to get those awful cravings to go away. And then I'm fine. I can go weeks without sugar if I quit cold-turkey, even months if I need to. So anyways, this week is a no-sugar week. I've got to get it out of my system, and out of my head!

So enter the green smoothie! I've been waking up to these for the past week, and yum! There's endless variations.....this one pictured above is baby spinach, half of a green apple, a peeled orange, half of an avocado, a banana, carrot juice, and cold water. Since it's winter and I'm not always in the mood for a smoothie, I tell myself it's green juice. The ingredients aren't frozen and I don't add ice, so then I can sip it down and it doesn't give me a chill for the rest of the morning. And straws are so fun! G's speech therapist recommended that he use straws to teach his mouth to form certain sounds, and I love them for my morning juice! (And also for my evening chocolate milkshakes......just not this week!)
And this is my new best friend, isn't she a beauty? She whips these smoothies up into a dream-like consistency! There's a program button on the front for a whole juice, and it purees the fruit so smoothly, even seeds! Yum......who needs brownies anymore? (me, just not this week!)

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Yay you have a new blender and it looks so nice. Where did you get it? Those smoothies sound so good!! I'm sick of my recipe for smoothies and always up for a new recipe.

Gilly said...

Congratulations on the new blender. I will try to not be jealous. Instead, I will just try to make that smoothy in my wimpy blender, instead of babying it. I will get some good smoothies, and eventually my wimpy blender will die and maybe for mother's day I can get a new one. I have never tired to blend apples before. I totally need to get new smoothy recipes.

JWalburger said...

I sounds so healthy!! Good for you for trying to eat better. I think we should all follow your example.

Crystal HW said...

That is quite the blender! I agree on sharing your smoothie recipes.

Charise said...

Guess what? I just bought one of those last week too!! COSTCO, right? I LOVE that place and I made Blueberry Ice Cream the other day and everyone raved about how good it was and when I told them I made it in my blender, they didn't believe me! Let me know any more recipes you've tried in it...keep blending Megs. Oh, remember that we need to get together sometime soon. February ok with you and Katie? Shelley lives only 7 minutes from me so we can all 4 meet somewhere for lunch or something on a Sat. talk to you soon.