Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Coconut Hot Chocolate (or Hot Coco-Choco)!


Mark's Daily Apple had an Iron Chef recipe contest a few weeks back and the secret ingredient was coconut. Mmmmmmmm! I really wanted to win, the prize was a Vitamix!!! (My dream kitchen appliance at the moment!) I'm sure you can guess I didn't win (since I didn't come on here and rave about my new vitamix) but at least I got 4 new recipes out of it. They were so yummy and I had such a fun time creating and photographing and writing them (and of course taste-testing!). Here's the first.......

I'm Coco-crazy and Choco-crazy so I figured the best way to get my fix was mix them together in a creamy, steamy cup of yumminess! My kids and I have been making homemade hot chocolate for 3 years now and we'll never go back to those foiled lined bags of powdered blah. This year we're taking it up a notch with full-fat coconut milk and 85% dark chocolate. Blending those two together creates an ambrosia unlike any hot chocolate we've ever had.
Hot Coco-Choco (or Coconut Hot Chocolate)

1 cup coconut milk
50 grams (5 squares) 85% dark chocolate
½ teaspoon real vanilla

It’s really that simple……Heat one cup of coconut milk over medium low heat.

In the mean time, finely grate your chocolate.
Stir it into your warm coconut milk……
Keep stirring until it’s blended and creamy……

When it’s all mixed in, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Now pour it into your favourite mug, top with that yummy cream that comes on the top of the coconut milk, and sprinkle with a few dark chocolate shavings. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... that looks so amazing. I just started laughing when you said "foiled lined bags of powered blah"!!! LOL. What great pictures!

JWalburger said...

Yummy!!! You should of won. Love the pictures. Janice

Crystal HW said...

Glad to see the coconut milk went to good use! ;)

I will have to try this recipe out soon myself.

kryskamp said...

oh my goodnessssss megs, that looks divine, I wish I had been here to be a taste tester!!! :) I might just have to make some soon, the weather is perfect for it!