Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Primal Challenge!

To go along with my sugar-free September, I've decided to join in with the 30-day Primal Challenge over at Mark's Daily Apple! I've been following this site for about a year now, and even though I don't always eat according to his guidelines, when I do, I feel soooooo much better! I think it's intuitively the way my body likes to eat, at least at this point in my life.

To sum up what "primal" eating is.........
-Eat vegetables, fruits, nuts/seeds, meats, and good fats
-Avoid grains and sugar
-Dairy products (full-fat of course) are good in moderation (if you tolerate them)

There's of course lots more to it than that so if you're curious, check out the blog I linked to, there's tons of articles. When I first was learning about it I read through everything on this 101 page.

Back in June I started eating this way pretty regularly, but in July when Derick and I started P90X I changed my diet a bit to go along more with the P90X nutrition guide. Now that I'm two months into that, I really rethinking what I'm eating and I'm going to finish the rest of the program eating more primally. P90X advocates eating more carbs than my gut likes, and they're also all about low fat! I totally need my fats! I feel so much better cutting out the carbs and adding back in coconut oil, butter, and full-fat dairy. (I'll have to tell you more about P90X later, we're loving it! We workout every night after the kids go to bed and I have to admit, I look forward to it......even though sometimes I feel like I'm gonna die!)

2 comments:

kate said...

Megs, for the first time I finally went and started reading about this primal eating thing you keep talking about! :) I love the concept! I doubt I am ready to switch over, but I do love the idea of eating more like this, it makes so much sense. I read a bunch of info on that page you linked us to. I will totally cheer you on and maybe I'll even try a bit more of this primal stuff in my life! :)

Crystal HW said...

Yes, more details about P90X!!!

Primal Eating sounds like what I am working on making my diet more like. IT is a hard transition, for sure. Best of luck!!!