Monday, September 20, 2010

Happy Harvest Moon!

Did you know the Harvest Moon is the full moon that falls closest to the Autumn Equinox? (I did not, I just looked it up!) So it's actually going to be on September 23rd, Thursday. But our little town had a festival this weekend about a block from our house called the Harvest Moon Hurrah.....so fun! The kids had fun at the craft tent and posing for crazy photos. We celebrated with some yummy milkshakes and ice cream cones, and the evening ended with a great outdoor concert.....my favorite performer being Cherie Call, she was awesome!

And speaking of harvest, I finally did a little canning Saturday morning. Kate's wonderful mother-in-law has a plum tree and we were given a whole box of perfectly ripe plums. I got right to work and made plum-blueberry jam and spiced plum butter. And to go along with my sugar-free September, one of the batches of plum-blueberry is sweetened with honey! It was delicious on spoonfuls coming out of the pot, hopefully it sets up well and tastes yummy all winter. And if you peek into the background of that photo, you'll see a little jar of butter! I'd finished all the jam and still had two little jars that were hot and ready, so I was looking around the the kitchen thinking, "what can I can?" I've seen this a few different places online and it seemed so easy, I thought I'd give it a try. It would be nice in an emergency to have butter on hand, at least then we could make some cookies! So we'll see how it tastes after awhile.

8 comments:

Gilly said...

Good job Megan. I have never heard of canning butter before. Interesting. The plum butter sounds so good. If we lived closer I would trade you some apple butter for some plum butter.

JWalburger said...

How cute and how fun your day must of been!!! You are such a good cook and homemaker.

Crystal HW said...

Way to go Megan!

We really need to skype or gmail chat sometime at catch up!

kryskamp said...

can't wait to taste your honey jam, Megs, way to go!!

Let's try honey peaches... but when will we ever have the time!?

love ya!

Plain and Joyful Living said...

Gorgeous canned jams! Happy harvest moon.
Warm wishes, Tonya

Jenny said...

mmmmm... that looks really good. You are so talented my friend - miss ya.

jesieo said...

oh megs, i got to drooling over your photo of canning! definitely worth all the work for such pretty jars!

Crystal HW said...

YOu motivated me to do some canning myself. I am making Apply Jelly with a friend this week.

Hope you all come up this Thanksgiving...Miss you!!