Sunday, June 27, 2010

waffle morning........

I love my kitchen in the morning. The windows actually face west, but in the morning the sun is reflecting off the neighbour's house making it bright and sunny in here. Also, it's nice and cool so we can open windows and doors, in the evening we close the blinds and avoid the sun at all costs in here, it gets quite warm! (But in the winter we'll be loving that!)
Today we're making waffles, it's our Saturday tradition. Here's our flour, ready to be turned into crisp, yummy, deliciousness. I've used so many different combos of flour and they really almost always turn out great. Today these jars are full of brown rice, millet, and buckwheat. We grind them in a k-tec grain grinder that we keep exclusively gluten free.
Here's of course, my biggest waffle fan! He gets so excited when it's waffle day and sits on the counter to help me each step of the way.
Here's my second biggest waffle fan!
And here's the final product, yum!
Our favorite is real maple syrup, but it's not always in the budget so we get by with a homemade syrup that's easy and yummy. (Not healthy or anything, but hey, it's syrup!)
1 3/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 T light corn syrup
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 tsp maple flavouring
In a small saucepan, combine the sugars, corn syrup, salt, and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add the maple flavouring. Cool to room temperature and pour into a serving bottle. Store in the fridge. :)
Here I am mixing them up in my new vintage pyrex, it makes them taste even yummier and sunnier!
And here's where our perfect waffle recipe comes from, you've got to try it, gluten free or not!
1 3/4 cup flour (I use about a 1/2 cup of each gf flour with a tsp of guar gum added)
1 T baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (this is my addition, it makes them smell so good while they're cooking)
2 egg yolks
1 3/4 cup milk (for gf flours, I only use 1 1/2 cup milk. Or kefir, yogurt, sour cream, butter milk)
1/2 cup oil
2 egg whites
Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In another bowl beat egg yolks with oil and stir in milk. Add to flour mixture and stir slightly. In another bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into flour and egg yolk mixture, do not overmix! Enjoy!

2 comments:

kate said...

Here I am testing a post!! :)

I love waffles! I want to come over for breakfast! Maybe we should have breakfast together one of these days!? K, love ya!!

Charise said...

I use that Better Homes cook book all the time too! It's got a good mix in there. I love homemade waffles with freshly ground flour as well...that's how most people should eat, but they sure don't do they? Can't believe how big your kids are getting!