Friday, October 2, 2009

crafting........

We've had a bit of a crafting renaissance going on in our house lately. I'm sure it has something to do with the change of season, but I know it has a lot to do with Amanda's Soule's incredible book The Creative Family! I adore her blog and read it almost every day, but I just got around to reading her book a few weeks ago and since then, I am soooooo much more likely to let my kids come up with a project and just go with it. It's amazing seeing what they create, and I love getting in on it with them as well. I've picked up my knitting a little every day since then, and our art supplies and playdough have pretty much become a permanent fixture at the kitchen table.

This little house was entirely E's idea. We were at the dollar store getting stickers for violin practice charts and she saw these wooden craft sticks and immediately knew what she wanted to build. She told me she also needed a bottle of glue, so for $2 she had hours of fun puting this together. The sticks are glued right on top of eachother, and she used an entire bottle of glue, so it's not going anywhere! (When she first started the project I tried to explain how the sticks could be glued together log cabin style, but nope, this was the plan from the start and I let her run with it!) Once dry it was coloured and now it's a favorite little house for dolls. So fun!

2 comments:

jesieo said...

i agree, i love soulemama's books! i was just looking at handmade home at the bookstore last night, and it makes me think of you and your sweet family!!! i like emberly's house, very well-crafted indeed:)

Jenny said...

What an awesome house Ember!! What a fun and creative idea. So fun to do stuff like that.