Wednesday, June 17, 2009

ouch..........

Well, our sweet little E had her first medical emergency this weekend! This is how we spent our Monday......after a fall on a trampoline Sunday night, she woke up with a bit of swelling and still unwilling to move her elbow, so I took her in just to have it looked at. I had no idea it would be broken, and I especially didn't like hearing the doctor tell me it was "pretty bad" and "you'd better get her to the Children's hospital for surgery." Those are the kinds of words that make a mama's heart beat a little crazier!

So I enlisted Derick's support, dropped G off at Jenny's (thanks!), and we headed to the hospital for what was to be the rest of a very long day. Thankfully (!) she didn't need surgery, the pediatric ER doctors decided they could take care of it right there with a bit of sedation and arm manipulation. It turns out she fractured her supracondylar, it's the big bone right above the elbow. They put her to sleep and moved it around to put it back in place, and then cast her up.

The doctors and techs there were soooooo nice! They treated her like a delicate little angel and took good care of her. They gave her this little teddy bear and had her name it and then the orthopedic tech put a real little cast on the bear! E loves playing vet with her animals, so this was the perfect thing to make her feel better in the midst of painful x-rays, horrible hunger waiting for the anesthetic, and multiple IV tries! Not a fun day!

But it was wonderful to come back late at night to a well-taken-care-of sleeping little boy and dinner in our fridge, thanks to two fabulous friends! This has been quite the eventful start to our summer!

11 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my goodness, poor thing! I know trampolines are soo dangerous, but I am loving how much time the kids will spend on it. ugh- definitely rethinking it all...
take care!

Crystal HW said...

Sounds like your week started out rough! Sorry I missed your call earlier. I will try returnig it tonight.

Atleast you know she took it well, and that you have good friends.

Jenny said...

You look so pretty in your red shirt Ember!! I hope you are feeling better! That bear is sure cute!

Chloe: That is a cute little bear Emberly. I have something for you.

Z Family said...

Poor girl!! Looks like she is doing very well and there is nothing like a personable medical staff to help along the way. Lots of ice cream for a speedy recovery :)

Ariane said...

Wow, what an adventure! I have noticed the gratitude I feel towards kind angelic medical workers, especially when they show that extra something special to your angels. How special to give the bear a cast too! What a little champ Emberly is!

Heather said...

Poor Emberly! She sounds like she was a trooper through it all!

jesieo said...

oh that poor thing! remember when our mom didn't think i had broken my arm and she made me get back on the soccer field...don't feel too bad. i love that they put a cast on the bear, definitely a sign of caring medical attention! get better soon ember!

littlegreen said...

poor little emberly, such a tough thing! They always talk about how dangerous trampolines are I guess! I'm just glad it wasn't any worse. On a side note, she looks SO grown up in that photo!!

carter green said...

Oh emberly thats too bad. you make sure to ask your mom how many times i broke bones in my body. in fact im still doing it. haha. well anyways you be careful and always listen to the doctors and to your mothers they'll help you get better. they helped me. well sorta. haha

Dawn said...

Ouch!! I hope you have a quick recovery Ember! I see that it is your right arm that is broken, so you must be learning how to write left handed? That's a good skill to have! :) Hope you feel better soon.

Pauline and Randy said...

Hey Megs, glad to keep blog-dated on you!