Sunday, March 15, 2009

catch the sheep.......

I haven't been knitting much lately (read: not at all!) so I decided to finish up a little UFO pair of mittens in my project bag. Sadly, they only took me 20 minutes to finish and E was thrilled to have soft new mittens! (Why have I waited almost 6 months to finish them?) So anyways, the moment came that I've been waiting for for nearly 7 years! I hear this little, "Mom, I want to knit."

Woohoo! We jumped up and ran down to my sewing room to pick out her very own yarn and needles. Then got our kids knitting book off the shelf. (See, I really have been waiting for years, I think I bought this book when she was about 6 months old!) The author of this book has a great little poem to help the beginner, and we were reciting it happily all day.

Under the Fence
Catch the Sheep
Back we Come
Off we Leap!

I thought it would be tricky at first, but she jumped right in like a little pro. She just takes her time and recites the poem as she goes through each stitch, and then we take turns knitting rows so she can see the progress in her little swatch. And I was amazed at how she naturally figured things out on her own, like how to hold both needles in one hand while she wraps the yarn. I can see why handwork is such an important part of so many traditional children's curriculums. She focuses so much and is so proud as she goes along. And of course, here's the finished product. A cozy wool horse blanket for "Sarah" the fairy. She looks comfy!

6 comments:

CrystalHW said...

YAY E! She did great!

Gilly said...

Great job E! She should teach me. I had one knitting lesson once and I was an abismal failure....

greenhouse clippings said...

Ember..........you are way ahead of me. I was in my 40's when I made my 1st knitted item. I would love to knit with you someday!!! Next time we get together, let's find some yarn to work on.
Love Grandma Lynne

Z Family said...

THats GREAT!!! Oh how fun!!

Romerils said...

Wow that is awesome Ember!! Your horse looks very cozy. I love that you had a book ready already Megan!! I thought that was great.

jesieo said...

oh, i'm so proud of you em! i think all little ones should knit, way to lead by example, what a precious photo too!