Saturday, February 7, 2009

Beloved Teacher.....

My very first violin teacher, Mr. Burch, passed away last week after a five year battle with cancer. He was the one who brought violins into my 4th grade classroom and played them for us and said that whoever was interested could join the orchestra, and I ran home that day to tell my mom I was going to play the violin! He taught me multiple times a week all through elementary school, and then for the 4 years of high school I saw him daily for orchestra class. Oh how I loved him! He played a mean fiddle, and he was always happy to sit and chat with students during lunch or after school. You'll be missed Mr. Burch!

5 comments:

Steph said...

What a perfect picture and a touching post.
I remember when he showed the instruments in MY classroom in 4th grade too and how I knew right away I wanted to be a violinist. It was a magical moment I won't ever forget.
We had lots of good times with him! I was thinking the other day how he always called "Rocky Top Tennessee" "Rotten-top tennis shoe." :)

jesieo said...

a great picture! just the way he always looked. it's so true, he will be missed.

Romerils said...

Sorry to here. Sounds like he was a great teacher. And that is a very nice picture of him.

Emily said...

Very nice tribute!
hey- I just put North and South on hold at the library (without knowing you were reading it!) Are you liking it? take care!

Lillie said...

What a nice post. I love the picture, and the flood of great memories it triggered. What a great man, it would be interesting to know how many hundreds of young lives he influenced.