Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Easy, Cheap Homemade Laundry Soap!


I made some of this up today and thought I'd share. I don't know exactly how much it costs, but definitely less than store-bought laundry detergent. And you know exactly what's in it! :)

1 bar of grated soap (I bought bars of Sunlight laundry soap, in the laundry aisle, comes in packs of two for 3$ or so.)
1 1/2 cup Borax
1 1/2 cup Washing Soda
1 cup oxyclean (optional, but I used it)

Grate the soap with a fine grater, and then I grind mine up in my little mini food processor to make it really powdery, so it'll disolve well. Then just combine everything. The borax and washing soda you can usually buy in the cleaning or laundry aisle. Use 1 Tablespoon for regular loads, 2 T for heavier loads. It works really well on clothes. I don't love it on diapers, but I've used it before. Ideally I like to have this and Tide Free, use the Tide for diapers and this for clothes, and then every once in awhile do clothes with Tide, just to made sure there's no soap residue. That's my laundry soap routine. (Pretty exciting, huh?)

3 comments:

cwalburg said...

That sounds great! I would be too afraid to try it on Sam's sensitive skin, or I would totally be doing this too. Thanks for the supportive email. . . it is worse than I put it. I will explain later.

littlegreen said...

love it!! we really do live exciting lives, don't we!? love ya!!

jesieo said...

oooh, intriguing. i love the idea of making my own soap, maybe when i run out of the stuff i'm using i'll try it now that i have an actual washer and dryer in my house. do you still do your own dryer sheets or something like them?