Thursday, September 20, 2007

For the love of a doll.......

I've been wanting to blog about our new little doll for awhile, I just haven't gotten to it. Last year I cut the fabric out for a waldorf doll for Emberly and she spent about two weeks asking me when I was going to sew her doll. Of course I never did and it became a forgotten UFO on the back of my shelf. As the end of the summer drew near I decided to try and get the doll made before Ember started Kindergarten as a special little gift. I was going to do it as a surprise, but it was too hard to only sew at night, and I'm so glad I was able to involve Ember in the whole process. She was so excited! Every day she would ask me what part of her doll was done. When it was just the head, she carried it around all day, the next day it was a naked body with a head but no hair or face! She loved it already, she even made a little bed for it and it slept next to her each night. It took me about 4 days to make her wig and then one night while Emberly was sleeping I sewed on her hair and finished her face and tucked her back into bed. She was elated in the morning!

I think this little doll came alive in those couple of weeks. Being a perfectionist with my sewing, there are a lot of little details about her that I don't especially like, but honestly, that's what makes her! She's like a little kid that just seemed to develop her own personality as each new part came together. Her wild hair, her uneven eyes, the stain on her back that just wouldn't come out.......they all make her a little more real.

Anyways, here she is, the night she was finished..........

And of course a girl with her doll........

She finally got a little dress and some underwear last week, but I'll have to post pictures of that later. Her dress was finished just in time for Emberly's first day of show-and-tell, and let me tell you, it makes a mama proud when her Kindergartener wants to take her special mama-made doll to show her class! And just in case you're wondering, I'm not sure what her name is. It's changed a number of times, last I heard it was Sara. But before that we had Laura, Laura-Lily, Elizabeth, Emily, Emily-Elizabeth, and Pocahontas. So you'll have to ask Ember yourself. :)

5 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, she turned out great!! I have been meaning to ask about that doll for awhile- was that the one you started when you were pregnant? How fun- I wish I were so talented!!

Megan said...

Thanks! No, that one I actually finished the night before Gavin was born, this is my second doll. You could totally make one, they're not hard, just time consuming!

littlegreen said...

so cute megs! I asked Em on the phone tonight what the doll's name was but I couldn't understand her answer. I love that little Em! Tell her I miss her!

cwalburger said...

So cute! I am glad you finally finished it. She sure likes that doll, that is for sure. It is the same one whe took out to the farm, isn't it?

See you in a few weeks!!

Z Family said...

PUT A HUGE SMILE ON MY FACE!! Wonderful! A story that belongs in chicken soup for the soul.